James E. Hendrix
- United States Air force - Radar & Computer Maintenance
- Memphis State University - BS Physics & Math
- University of Mississippi - MS Physics (Atmospherics)
Main Frame Software
- Computer usage reporting system. Cobol, Assembly language, Burroughs 5500 & IBM 360.
- Ship piping system verification and fabrication report. Fortran, Burroughs 5500.
- Index sequential file access method. Cobol, Burroughs 3500.
- Customer service payroll. Cobol, Burroughs 3500.
- Installment loan system. Cobol, Burroughs 3500.
- Transaction processing terminal handler. Assembly language, DEC System 10.
- University of Mississippi Student Information System. Cobol. Codasyl database. DEC System 10, IBM 4300.
- Tape library management system. Cobol, IBM 4300.
- Budget reporting system. Cobol. Codasyl database. IBM 4300.
Microcomputer Software (Published)
- Small C Compiler. (Dr. Dobb's Journal, 1982; I/O Magazine, Japan, 1985; Markt&Technik, West Germany, 1986)
A subset compiler for the C language written in its own language; a self-compiler. CP/M and MS-DOS versions.
- Small Tools. (Dr. Dobb's Journal, 1982; Markt&Technik, West Germany, 1986)
A package of text processing tools written in Small C.
- Small Mac Assembler. (M&T Books, 1985; I/O Magazine, Japan, 1985; Markt&Technik, West Germany, 1986)
An assembler, linker, librarian package written in Small C primarily for use with the Small C compiler under CP/M.
- Small Windows. (M&T Books, 1987)
A library of windowing functions for the C language; Microsoft C, Turbo C, Lattice C, and Small C versions.
- Small Assembler. (M&T Books, 1988)
An assembler written in Small C for MS-DOS.
|Notice of Public Domain Status
The source code for the Small-C Compiler and runtime libraries (CP/M & DOS), Small-Mac Assembler (CP/M),
Small-Assembler (DOS), Small-Tools programs and Small-Windows library to which I hold copyrights are
hereby available for royalty free use in private or commerical endeavors. The only obligation being that
the users retain the original copyright notices and credit all prior authors (Ron Cain, James Hendrix, etc.)
in derivative versions.
James E. Hendrix Jr.
Links to ZIP files
- The Small C Handbook. (Reston Publishing, 256 pages, 1983)
Describes the Small C language and compiler as implemented under CP/M.
- Small C. (I/O Books, Japan, 271 pages, 1985)
Japanese translation of The Small C Handbook.
- Dr. Dobb's Toolbook of C. (Brady/Prentice Hall, 712 pages, 1986)
- A Small C Compiler. (M&T Books, 586 pages, 1980, 1988, 1992)
Describes the language, usage, theory, and design of the MS-DOS Small C compiler.
- Dr. Dobb's Small-C Resource CD-ROM. (Miller Freeman, 1997)
Full text of "A Small C Compiler" plus Small C and Small Assembler source files, etc.
- PC Assembler Essence. (E-Hahn's Computer Science Series, Korea, 520 pages, 1997)
Articles and Papers
- A predictive filter for active noise control in small spaces, James E. Hendrix, T. R. Harley, F. Douglas Shields. (Paper given at fall meeting of ASA, Nov. 1990)
- An adaptive predictive filter for controlling broadband noise or vibration with tightly coupled transducers, James E. Hendrix, T. R. Harley, F. Douglas Shields. (Paper given at fall meeting of ASA, Nov. 1991)
- Adaptive, predictive filters for controlling broadband noise and vibration with tightly coupled transducers, James E. Hendrix, T. R. Harley, F. Douglas Shields. (Invited Paper, Texas Instruments TMS320 Educators Conference, Aug. 5-7, 1992)
- Computational optimization of a predictive filter for noise cancellation, T. R. Harley, James E. Hendrix, F. Douglas Shields. (Paper given at fall meeting of ASA, Nov. 1990)
- An adaptive feedback control system for active noise cancellation in a headset, T. R. Harley, James E. Hendrix, Keith T. Olre. Article submitted for publication in JASA.
- Smart acoustically active surfaces, F. Douglas Shields, James E. Hendrix, and L. Dwynn Lafleur, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. Supp. 1, 85, S62 (1989). (Paper given at spring meeting of ASA)
- Acoustically active surfaces using piezorubber, L. Dwynn Lafleur, F. Douglas Shields, and James E. Hendrix, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 90 (3), (1991).
- Active noise cancellation facilitates diver's under water communication," Russ Lindgren, Assoc. Ed. (Personal Engineering and Instrumentation News, June, 1993, about ANC work done for the Navy)
- A Unique Application of the Articulation Index, L. L. Mendel, B. W. Hamill, J. E. Hendrix, M. D. Miley. Paper presented at the American Auditory Society Annual Convention, Dallas, Texas, 1995.
- A Unique Application of the Articulation Index, L. L. Mendel, B. W. Hamill, J. E. Hendrix, L. J. Crepeau, J. Pelton, M. D. Miley. J. Acoust. Soc. Am.
- Use of the Speech Intelligibility Index in a Noisy Helium Environment, L. L. Mendel, B. W. Hamill, J. E. Hendrix, L. J. Crepeau, J. Pelton, and M. D. Miley. Article submitted for publication in J. Acoust. Soc. Am.
- Speech Intelligibility Assessment in a Helium Environment: II, L. L. Mendel, B. W. Hamill, J. E. Hendrix, L. J. Crepeau, J. Pelton, M. D. Miley, E. E. Kadlec. Article submitted for publication in J. Acoust. Soc. Am.
- Calculation of sound absorption and velocity in relaxing gas mixtures. (for F. D. Shields, 1969) Was later expanded by Shields and Bass and used to develop the national standard for atmospheric noise absorption.
- Analog interface circuit card for use with Texas Instruments TMS320C30 digital signal processor. Two channels of 12-bit, 1 Msps input and output.
- Integrated interface circuit card for use with Texas Instruments TMS320C40 digital signal processor. A four layer, full length ISA bus card with two channels of analog input and output for each of two processors. Includes on-board amplifiers, filters, and galvanic isolation.
- Digital signal processing run-time library. Control and debugging routines for use with Texas Instruments TMS320C30 and C40 processors.
- Digital amplifier in which the gain and delay are adjusted dynamically and the precision of the delay is not limited by the sample period.
- Diagnostic, wireless telecommunications receivers for testing a nation wide, two-way paging system. A parallel processing DSP application.
- Smart acoustically active surfaces. DSP controlled surfaces that can detect sound in water and cancel simultaneously both the reflected and transmitted waves.
- Predictive, feedback-control algorithm for reducing sound or vibration.
- Generalized feedback controller. This system listens to the noise spectrum, probes for the feedback transfer-function, calculates and implements the optimal IIR filter for noise or vibration reduction.
- Wireless door-lock control system.
- Waterproof microphone for use in a saturation diving helmet.
- Procedure for testing microphones for suitability in saturation-diving helmet.
- Active noise controlled communications headset for saturation divers.
- Active noise controlled ear plugs for use under ear muffs in ultra-high noise environments.
- Active noise controlled stethoscope for use in medical evacuation helicopters.
- Active noise controlled stethoscope with built in audiogram and hearing correction for use by doctors with hearing impairments.
- Analytic Stethoscope for recognizing and reporting heart-sound statistics.
- Improved conventional electronic stethoscope.
- Procedure for using the Articulation Index to predict the intelligibility of speech presented to saturation divers.
- Procedure for using the Speech Intelligibility Index to predict the intelligibility of speech presented to saturation divers.
- 32-channel, active noise controlled acoustical event detector for noninvasive inspection of fruit for larva infestations by counting chewing events.
- Helium-speech unscrambler for USN saturation divers. Concept, hardware, software development. Forty three units delivered.
- Aerodynamic Deturbulator flight testing, data analysis and web work.
- Motion dynamics recorder (MDR) for high resolution recording with inertial, GPS and aero sensors for precisely reconstructing
all aspects of motion (flight, etc.) dynamics. For more information, see
WayTrac Systems, LLC
Patents and Copyrights
- Motion Dynamics Recorder,
Oxford Aero Equipment, (U.S. Patent Provisional Application No. 60/995044, September 25, 2007)
A motion dynamics data recorder for use in aircraft, land vehicles and seagoing vessels.
It uses a full suite of sensors, including GPS, accelerometers, gyros, pressure,
outside air temperature, magnetic compass and microphone for engine noise detection.
Recording is on high-speed SD Cards with capacities of thousands of hours.
Simultaneously records vehicle logs on fixed SD Card and operator logs on operator accessible,
hot-swappable SD Cards.
- Boundary Flow Elevating Device, James E. Hendrix Jr., (U.S. Patent Provisional Application No. 61/225,332, July 14, 2009)
A method for reducing skin friction and form contributions to drag on aerodynamic surfaces including wings, turbine blades, auto bodies, etc.
- A Smart Acoustically-Active Surface, F. Douglas Shields, James E. Hendrix, L. Dwynn Lafleur. (U.S. Patent Application SN 07/351,539,
February 1990) A two-layered surface that senses sounds falling on it and responds to prevent reflection of the sound from it.
- Trilayered Smart Acoustically-Active Transducer, F. Douglas Shields, James E. Hendrix, L. Dwynn Lafleur. (U.S. Patent Application No.
07/549,084, July 6, 1990) A three-layered surface that senses sound falling on it and responds to prevent reflection of the sound from it and
transmission of the sound through it.
- Analytic Stethoscope, James E. Hendrix, Ali R. Kolaini. (U.S. Patent Application No. 09/111,711, July 8, 1998) An electronic
stethoscope with digital signal processing to identify normal and abnormal heart-sounds and report findings with text and graphics.
- Digital helium-speech unscrambler for translating helium-distorted speech into intelligible speech and for attenuating background noise, James E. Hendrix Jr., (U.S. Patent Provisional
Application No. 61/324,523,
April 23, 2010)
- Time-Domain and Frequency-Domain Helium Speech Unscramblers with ANR Front Ends (program code), Copyright © 2001 James E. Hendrix Jr.
- Surface Ventilation Method for Compliant Surface Flow Control Devices, James E. Hendrix Jr., (U.S. Patent Provisional
Application No. 60/978,096,
October 5, 2007) An improved method for ventilating compliant surface, multi-layer flow-control devices.
- Surface Ventilator For A Compliant-Surface Flow-Control Device, Oxford Aero Equipment LLC, and ANKER-ZEMER Engineering AS,
(International Application Number:PCT/US08/55729, October 5, 2007)
An improved method for entilating compliant surface, multi-layer flow-control devices.